Pengikut

Sabtu, 15 Ogos 2009

High Altitude Landing


Once I was asked to attend a meeting with the Sabah state officials. It was about the construction of a rest house at Gunung Kinabalu. The Army was represented by Maj Jamil of the Engineering Squadron. The proposed site was at about 10,000 feet, I think. The state wanted the nuri to airlift the building materials. The Army would provide the manpower.

Mawilud 11 (Markas Wilayah Udara), located at Kuching, Sarawak, directed me to do high altitude flying over Labuan in anticipation of performing this task. It arranged with C130 Hercules squadron to provide me with oxygen masks and cylinders. You see, nuri is not a pressurised aircraft and as a safety measure, we have to use oxygen masks when we fly 10,000 feet and above in case we experience hypoxia. No problem, I flew for 2 hours 45 minutes over the island. In fact, I didn’t use the equipment at all.

For planning purpose, the Park HQ (PHQ) at 5,000 ft, was proposed to be the pick-up and refuelling point. The designated landing point (LP) was about 10,000 ft. Before that, let me enrich your knowledge on the characteristics of the nuri. The rules of thumb are as follows:

- Weight (empty) - 12,500 lbs.
- Max operating wt – 19,500 lbs at sea level, including fuel.
- 400 lbs weight reduction for every 1,000 feet.
- Airspeed – 110 knots at 3,000 feet.
- 6 knots speed reduction for every 1,000 feet.
- Fuel consumption – 1,000 lbs per hour.
- Reserve fuel – 600 lbs for both tanks (300 lbs/tank).

The calculation for the maximum weight for landing at LP.

- Max operating wt @ sea level – 19,500 lbs
- Max operating wt @ LP - 15,500 lbs (19,500 lbs - 4,000 lbs)
- Less wt of empty aircraft - 12,500 lbs
- Less fuel, including reserve - 2,000 lbs
- Payload available - 1,000 lbs

I could not remember the estimated flight time from the PHQ to the LP and vice versa. I think it was about 30 min for the round trip. But it was not as simple as that; must consider loading, unloading, diversion in case of bad weather. The nearest landing area in case of bad weather would be Kundasang and if not accesible, then I would fly either to Kota Kinabalu or Ranau. One thing for sure, I knew the unpredictable weather there.

Based on the calculation, I could only take a maximum of 1,000 lbs of construction materials for every sortie. I had to refuel after every flight back to PHQ. I didn’t know what the total weight of the building materials would be. And the airspeed at that height was about 70 knots. I’m sure most nuri pilots would concur with me if I said that nuri's control is sloppy with height......just like driving a 3-ton army truck without power steering.

And now, come the day for the trial flight. Airborne Labuan for Gunung Kinabalu with the estimated weight of 15,500 lbs on landing. I planned to refuel at Kota Kinabalu airport. During the recce, there was no way of determining the wind direction – only solid rock. I saw a fuselage of a crashed Bell helicopter abandoned there. To me, the best approach was flying towards the mountain.

On coming to a hover, the nuri yawed clockwise (to the right). I fully applied left pedal but was still unable to stop the yaw. The cross wind from the left was too strong. The only option available was to dive the chasm and flew off. Well, with 3,000 hours on type, this was one scary experince that will be forever in my mind. I’m an old but not a bold pilot – and that’s how you’re able to read this article!

My recommendation to Mawilud 11 ? NOT FEASIBLE. The Panglima never questioned my decision. I was told that Sabah Air got the contract to fly the materials.

Nuri pilots, I tried to be as accurate as possible to the extent of calling 5 Sqn about nuri's data. If you observe inaccurate data, please accept my humble apologies. You must bear in mind that this episode took place in 1984....25 years ago!


3,000-hour reception at No 5 Sqn dispersal area upon landing from Terumbu Layang-Layang on 30 January, 1984.



Comments are most welcome.....

2 ulasan:

Amir Moque berkata...

Salam Sir..nice to read all your stories flying the 'Mighty Nuri'. I'm Capt Ahmad Amir RMAF also a Nuri pilot. I was also ex 5 Sqn and had seen some of your pictures in the scrapbook.
That's why when you posted some comments in my Facebook, it's sound familiar to me when looking at your name...wow, how lucky I am to meet the ex Nuri pilot! And Ex CO of 5 Sqn some more!
I'm very proud flying the 'Mighty Nuri'. I'm now currently serve in 3 Sqn Butterworth. I was also almost 10 years stayed in Jitra, Kedah. My last school was Sek Men Sultan Abdul Halim, Jitra also known as Jenan. Then I joined as Air Force cadet at KTU in 1998 and completed the basic flying training in 2003.
Since your address at Jitra, I hope to see you soon especially during my Instructor course.
Anyway, nice to meet you keep in touch..my email moque3419@yahoo.com.my
SELAMAT BERPUASA...

Mej. Dr. Nor Ibrahim bin Sulaiman PTU TUDM (B) berkata...

Good to hear from somebody who talks the same lingo. Thank you for reading my blogs. Please give your comments on my blog entitled 'Pengiktirafan Negara...Nyawa Atau Nama?'. I'm struggling to get the government to revert its decision on giving an allowance to the recipients of JPP, PTU and KPK.With a good numbers of positive comments, it might work. You might get PTU too, who knows. Anyway, I'm sure you'll make it as a QHI since you're an old boy of Jenan.