Pengikut

Selasa, 5 Januari 2010

Virtual Vultures...

AMARAN...AWAS...WARNING...BEWARE...!!!

The vultures are on the prowl again...preying on unsuspecting sparrows like me before. If you receive an e-mail (unedited) below, PLEASE...PLEASE...IGNORE OR DELETE IT...IT'S A SCAM!! I know what  I'm talking about because I have experienced it.

Yahoo Account Verification Alert !!! (KMM69467VL055834KM)

Mon, January 4, 2010 12:06:01 AM
From: Yahoo Customer Service mailbot1@email.com
Add to Contacts
To:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Valued Member,
Account Alert

Dear Valued Member,

Due to the congestion in all Yahoo! Mail users, Yahoo! would be shutting down all unused Yahoo! Mail Accounts.

You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your login information below, after clicking the reply botton or your Account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

CONFIRM YOUR IDENTITY. VERIFY YOUR FREE YAHOO ACCOUNT NOW !!!

Please note:

You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below, after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

* Username: .................................
* Password: ..................................
* Date of Birth: ...............................
* Occupation:................................
* Country of Residence.......................

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account before two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

Sincerely,

Yahoo! Customer Support

*********************************************
Please reply to this message. This is a service related to your use of Yahoo! Mail. To learn more about Yahoo!'s use of personal information, including the use of Web beacons in HTML-based email, visit Yahoo home page.. Yahoo! is located at 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089.

Copyright © 1994-2010 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Guidelines

NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site.

I received a similar e-mail on 9 November 2009. Being  'computer savvy', without any hesitation, I promptly responded on 11 November 2009 giving the details as required, including my password. On the same day, my brother from Taiping called enquiring  my whereabouts...."Of course I'm in Jitra, happily playing golf". He sounded so relieved  since he told me that he received my 'Mayday' e-mail from the UK. I did not know what he was talking about. And...at this point I realised that I had no access to Yahoo! at all and it lasted almost 2 days.

He e-mailed my so-called 'distressed e-mail' (unedited) below to my wife... 

From: nor ibrahim sulaiman
Subject: It's Urgent
To: nibsny@yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, November 10, 2009, 7:29 PM

 Assalamualaikum,

Hope you get this on time? Sorry I didn't inform you about my trip to the UK for a program. I am having some difficulties here because i misplaced my wallet on my way to the hotel which contained some cash and some other valuable things. Presently, my passport and my things are been held down by the hotel management pending when i make payment

I will like you to assist me with a loan of $1,615 to sort-out my hotel bills and to get myself back home. I will appreciate whatever you can afford to assist me with, I will Refund the money back to you as soon as i return, let me know if you can be of any help? ASAP.

I currently don't have a phone where i can be reached.

please let me know immediately.

Regards,

Mej Nor Ibrahim Bin Sulaiman TUDM (B)

Modus operandi of these vultures is very simple. They sent the above e-mail to all my 'contacts'. I came to know about this when I received  calls from Singapore and Japan asking about my well being. Oh boy...what  an embarrasing spot I was in! My course of action was to publish a post entitled "WARNING!!!" on 11 November 2009. And, followed by sending e-mails to my contacts that I could still remember their addresses using a newly-opened 'gmail'. 

Readers...I sincerely hope you will benefit from reading this experience of mine. Do not fall into this cyber trap!!

Tiada ulasan: